Site progress update. The site has been moving along and things are going pretty well. It’s been three months now and I’ve made over 75 shirt sales, shipping to 19 states and Canada. It’s encouraging to see a good amount of sales coming in considering there hasn’t been a whole lot of resources put into marketing and advertising at this point. Most of my time has been spent designing the new shirts and images for the site and getting the orders printed and shipped as well as the various administrational duties that come up, but I’ve done a little experimenting with a few marketing channels. I’m glad to say I’ve been able to continue releasing two new shirt designs a week, including a slew of quote shirts as well as a bunch more additions to the “Breathe If You Hate” college rivalry series. Those include Auburn/Alabama, Purdue/Indiana, Texas/Oklahoma, Cal/Stanford, USC/UCLA, Missouri/Kansas and Harvard/Yale. Some of the highlights in the quotes department:
- John L. Smith yelling “The kids are playing their tails off, and the coaches are screwing it up!” in Columbus in ’05
- Coastal Carolina Coach David Bennett’s bizarre and hilarious “We need more dogs” story from earlier this fall
- Mike Singletary’s amazing “Can’t Do It” rant about the selfishness of Vernon Davis from 2008
- Metta World Peace’s “I’d like to thank my psychiatrist” interview
- T.O.’s tearful “That’s my quarterback” presser
- Shaq’s pissed-off “Sacramento Queens” interview from ’02
- Shaq telling reporters he’d like to be called The Big Aristotle
- AI’s spectacular rant about coming off the bench
- Ochocinco’s two classics: Child Please and Kiss Da Baby
The main marketing channels I’ve been working with have been Google AdWords, facebook ads, and StumbleUpon. It’s been interesting to see the trends that happen and the way traffic can move from one day to the next (and from one hour to the next, one country to the next, browser, operating system, screen resolution…) depending on a specific word here or there. Most of the time the numbers change by small amounts, but a few times I’ve had huge jumps in traffic, especially with StumbleUpon’s Paid Discovery. I have a few things in the works for getting the word out in different ways, and am really looking forward to making those come to life and seeing what happens. It’s going to be spending time on those plus continuing to tweak my existing marketing and advertising that will be hugely important in the next few months. Stay tuned.
Elsewhere. Jordan Crawford thinks he’s better than MJ. TrueHoop’s Henry Abbott with a great piece on the state of the NBA lockout. Can’t get enough of Jordan brand’s “Love the Game No Matter What” ad. Brian Kelly continuing to make a fool of himself, this time blaming ND’s struggles on players he didn’t recruit. If you haven’t seen Tebowing.com yet, check it out immediately. Every Day Should Be Saturday with a hilarious post about the Florida/Georgia game and Jacksonville. The main site from Field of Dreams has been sold and will be developed into a baseball and softball complex.